Monday, August 6, 2012

my knitting story

 I am the only knitter in my family..well the only spinner and crocheter too.
 
I learned how to crochet first in Ghana when I was twelve in the early 90s.
I used to attend the French School  and in between classes, several friends used to crochet together and make doilies. I learned informally the different stitches and how to read crochet graphs.






When we moved to Kenya after four years in Ghana, I had a really hard time adjusting to high school, a new environment and just life in Nairobi.
The school offered after-school activities and I signed up for the "club de couture" ie "sewing club".
We did everything but sew :)
We did a lot of embroidery then learned how to knit. There was a yarn store where I pretty much spent all my money buying notions and yarn.  Unfortunately I lost most of my stash when we moved to Senegal after a year in Nairobi.

So I've been knitting and crocheting on and off for more than 15 years.
I can't thank enough Madame Robineau for teaching me this craft. It has been a tremendous stress reliever, a creative outlet but most importantly what I do when I can't sleep, worry or feel helpless.  This past year, I have been trying to define myself outside of work and prioritize creativity. As I think about knitting and crochet constantly, I thought why not blog about it?
Ilham means "Inspiration" in Swahili. I do need lots of inspiration to continue knitting and eventually start writing short stories again..

4 comments:

  1. I will be following this blog closely!! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sooo much :) Your words mean a lot to me <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great that you're doing this blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your support. I am really having lots of fun doing it :)

    ReplyDelete