Sunday, April 12, 2015

I just want to spin

Finally Spring is here! No more gliding  driving in the snowy roads of Indiana!



 
I recently had a conversation with a dear friend in regards to spinning: techniques, type of drafting, ply and ability to replicate commercial yarns. As I listened in awe at her ability to grow as a spinner, I realized that on my end, I just want to spin!
When I first learned, I thought my ultimate goal would be to replicate commercial yarn but I never went beyond my thick and thin!

I am currently spinning the colorway "Marju" on Falkand fiber from SweetGeorgia Yarns and following the same process as always:mix colors, oops...had to add fiber quickly, a bump..etc..



I could spin thinner and actually I am trying to be a little bit more attentive as I am currently  obsessed with handspun mittens! There is something so magical about them...





Mittens made with FatCatKnits Targhee Combed top "Pepperspark and Hungry Horace"

Maybe it is the fact that they are mismatched...the colors changes...the bumps....the warmth...

I think I also love spinning without a plan because it is a way for me to appreciate the present and be grounded in the moment. For each yard of handspun yarn that I create, I won't be able to replicate it again if I have the same braid....
I did take classes to learn how to replicate commercial yarn and I got lost with the whole wpi, calculations etc.... It took the joy out of spinning for me...oh yes and counting the number of treadles, the twist.... etc...I truly admire those who have the discipline to do so.
Right now, I just want to spin....mix colors and go with the flow :)

Yarn Love Audrey Hepburn "Hidden Treasure"



4 comments:

  1. you yarn is beautiful, please don't change anything about it! And forget what those with a scientific mind who need to control everything say ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!!!!! I still admire those who take a scientific approach to spinning!! It is fascinating :)

      Delete
  2. I'm realizing that I feel the same way as you do about spinning -- "Mama, I just wanna spinnnnnnnnn". It doesn't have to be perfect, replicable, none of that stuff, just yarn I love and want to work with. The treadle counting is working my nerve so much right now, I'm thinking of saving for an electric spinning wheel.

    I love your organic approach and the idea of just being in the moment while you spin and those mittens are divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I got lost when I was counting the number of treadle and a bit frustrated! Like you, I just want to spin ...hahaha...Thank you as always for your kind words

      Delete